eBay Classifieds Group is an innovative leader in online classifieds with ten brands that span the globe. Our sites help people find whatever they’re looking for in their local communities – whether it’s a job, an apartment, a sofa, a car, a concert ticket, financial services or new friends. Every connection made or item found makes a difference by creating a world where people share more and waste less. People who want to connect and trade visit our sites because they’re fun, easy to use and built on trust.
About the position:
As Director of Engineering, you will ensure teams build high quality, globally scalable services. As part of our central product and technology team, you will participate in designing our long term technology strategy and will lead teams executing core parts of it.
In the last years we successfully transitioned core pieces of our architecture to globally used, multi-tenant capabilities. Given recent developments there is an appetite to accelerate the approach and thinking. You inspire your engineering teams to think big and develop for scale.
The Engineering Director will work directly with product and technology leaders in our Amsterdam headquarters as well as international counterparts. Your role is to undertake day-to-day management of the delivery of centralized data services and products and developing longer term strategy to ensure the best balance between impact and investment.
The teams consist of engineers, architects and scientists to which you will provide technical and product leadership on tech/engineering enablers to local business to enhance their local product delivery capabilities
- Articulate and communicate towards the team’s development plans and capabilities, R&D expenditures, product status and overall goals as the company moves forward in its strategy.
- Own the intellectual process of researching and analyzing new technologies, capturing and synthesizing information and formulating insightful findings and conclusions.
- Responsible for cross organizational optimization, scalability and growth at a global level.
- Be a sounding board for ideas and a center of excellence for all matters relating to current and future technologies.
- Contribute to strategy for long-term platform stability and world-class architecture
- Establish strategies around internal vs. external technology investments.
- Effectively be a great partner, liaise with counterparts to use existing technology where relevant Technology Strategy.
- Evaluate the current technology landscape (technology stack, products, people, etc.) and recommend a forward-looking, short and long-term technology strategic vision and plan.
- Lead product innovation process within the Product groups that align to market strategies.
- Provide reliable technical assessments of potential mergers and acquisitions.
- Responsible for architecture design strategies to ensure a scalable/product design that meets the needs of the market.
- Establish an environment that stimulates innovation and creativity and improves customer experience.
- Build a culture of accountability, quality, agility and high performance that will foster the attraction, development and retention of outstanding product and technical talent.
- Build premier R&D practices and execution excellence, spanning product specification, change management, software reviews and project management, documentation, product release procedures, portability across operating systems and software quality control.
- Position and prepare the technology organization for scalable growth – architecture, development, infrastructure, people, processes, roadmaps, etc.
- Consistent track record of leading a development organization of a similar size or larger for an internet, communications or software company known for best in class products and digital transformation.
- Possess a blend of business and be technically savvy; have a big-picture vision as well as the drive and attention to detail that transforms strategy into action
- Demonstrated experience with engineering complexities coming with delivery at global scale. Examples include large data sets, distributed systems, security aspects, self-healing and auto-scaling.
- Deep affinity with various agile processes and cultivating the agile growth mentality.
- Always up to date with regards to advances in technology and can translate them into business opportunities.
- The successful candidate will have demonstrated experience leading change management initiatives such as re-architecting, re-deployment and platform building.
- Proven track record for product delivery: entrepreneurial drive and a demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals in an innovative and fast paced environment.
- Experience in working with multiple design centers, consolidating resources and outsourcing technology development.
- Strong “people” skills with a consistent record of team building as well as motivating and developing staff.
- Experience with mobile / multi-device development.
- Able to effectively present information, gain feedback and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients and customers.
- Business or Science Degree with a technology background (prefer a technical role in past)
- Experience (7-10 years) with project/program management experience in the online space (preferably e-commerce)
- Experience working in global organization, with remote partners
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Benefits are an essential part of your total compensation for the work you do every day. Whether you’re single, in a growing family, or nearing retirement, eBay offers a variety of comprehensive and competitive benefit programs to meet your needs.
We love creating opportunities for others by connecting people from widely diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and geographies. So, being diverse and inclusive isn’t just something we strive for, it is who we are, and part of what we do each and every single day. We want to ensure that as an employee, you feel eBay is a place where, no matter who you are, you feel safe, included, and that you have the opportunity to bring your unique self to work. To learn about our Diversity & Inclusion click here: https://www.ebayinc.com/our-company/diversity-inclusion/
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.