Communication has changed for people. It’s changed for businesses, too.
Intercom is the only suite of customer messaging products that drives growth at every stage of the customer lifecycle—across acquisition, engagement, and support. Today more than 30,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide.
Join the company helping businesses grow revenue through live chat, and so much more.
What’s the Opportunity? 🤔
This is more than a technical role, you’ll be a creative product and technical contributor. You’ll use your experience to inform our engineering process and decisions when building new features and ensuring scalability and availability of the entire platform.
You’ll be part of one of our product teams which are multidisciplinary with design, frontend and backend engineering combined. While specialisation is important, we discourage pigeonholing. Our most effective people work across design and implementation, making the right technology decisions to build the best product.
One of our senior engineers, joining from a major PaaS provider, described his experience as “Before, I saw customers through a very large telescope. Now I’m right beside them.” We love the satisfaction of hearing how happy our customers are with what we build for them.
Learn more about our engineering culture at intercom.engineering
What will I be doing? 🚀
As a Product Engineer You Will
- Contribute to our technical architecture as we grow. We scale to service requests from all our customers’ customers. We’re growing and so are they.
- Care about agility as much you care for scalability and availability. Continuous deployment keeps us focused on incremental releases. Even our biggest technical achievements roll out piece by piece, feature flagged out of sight. Projects are kept short and tightly scoped. Teams build a weekly cadence of releases
- Ship a change to production on your first day and a significant public release in your first week. That “day one” change is automatically deployed to production along with 100 other deployments (on average) each weekday
- Be proud of what you work on, obsess about the quality of the work you produce. Join us to do the best work of your career.
What qualifications do I need?
Typically, a degree level qualification but at least NQF Level 6 (or similar)
What skills do I need? 📖
- Ideally, you’ve built an exciting SaaS product in your previous roles and loved the satisfaction that comes with knowing that people around the world are using something you’ve created
- You can demonstrate significant impact that your work has had on the product and/or the team
- You also need to have deep knowledge of a high-level programming language (for example, Ruby, Python, Perl etc.) but it doesn’t need to be a language that we use here! Great people are effective and learn what we use quickly (or introduce us to better ways of working)
- You will have experience with Distributed systems
Where will I be working?
Your main place of work will be at our London office but you may be required occasionally to travel to our offices in Dublin or San Francisco.
What happens when I apply? 🤓
First, apply so we can review your CV 🙂 As the next step, we will send you our take home test to work on in your own time. The following step will be a phone interview with one of our engineers which will focus on technical and culture contribution questions (this step is sometimes broken down into 2 interviews). The final step is a virtual onsite interview with our London team.
We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! 🙂
- Competitive salary and equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve lunch every weekday, plus a variety of snack foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Regular compensation reviews – we reward great work
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it
- Paid maternity leave, as well as 6 weeks paternity leave for fathers, to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
We are a diverse bunch of people and we want to continue to attract and retain a diverse range of people into our organisation. We’re committed to an inclusive and diverse Intercom! We do not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, or race