The IMDb TV team is shaping the future of digital video entertainment. Our mission is to build earth’s most customer centric ad supported premium free video service and make it trivially easy for hundreds of millions of customers to enjoy. We have learned that customer’s love IMDb TV so we are expanding our new team in London to help deliver the experience on big screen living room devices, streaming media sticks, games consoles and set-top boxes.
As a front end engineer in the IMDb TV team, you will be working full stack and have no limits other than your technical and artistic boundaries. We own and deliver a react based UX across multiple device families as well as a non-react version for a subset of specific devices. We are looking for our first front end engineer to help deliver our UX vision into the hands of millions of customers world wide. But it is not all about delivery and we will be looking for you to help us make better decisions, approaches and shape our delivery. You will be working across teams of engineers, UX designers, product managers, and business stakeholders in a truly collaborative and innovative space, who obsess over their customers.
You will have the freedom and encouragement to explore your own ideas and the reward of seeing your contributions benefit tens of millions of customers. This is very much Day 1 for IMDb TV so you would be joining an entrepreneurial and pioneering team that is building from scratch.
Amazon is a place where builders can build. You will work with the latest front-end technologies including React, Redux, NodeJS and TypeScript. You will also utilize AWS tooling and products building micro-services to create an industry leading user experience for our customers at a global scale. You will be responsible for our Living Room client application and front-end development lifecycle, demonstrating best practices in application architecture and design, working towards the highest standards in usability, accessibility and a relentless focus on the performance of our products.
You will have a system-wide, architectural view of the solutions that you build and own the challenges of delivering software on multiple devices that may be constrained in memory and cpu performance. You will be involved in every aspect of the process: idea generation, business analysis, technical and architectural design; as well as software development using the latest technologies and design patterns. Your systems will set the highest standards of performance and reliability, and will operate at unprecedented global scale, 24×7.
- Experience with object-oriented design
- Computer Science Honours degree (2:1 or better) or another technical degree or postgraduate study. In lieu of degree, relevant skills and equivalent experience.
- Able to demonstrate knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and strong problem solving skills.
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills
- Understand view layout and rendering technologies (e.g., responsiveness, progressive enhancement, browser/device support). Know when it is appropriate to apply graceful fallback strategies.
- Experience of using React / Redux to build complex applications
- Experience with version control and command line tools
- Understand the importance of testing front-end components, utilizing unit, integration and end-to-end testing models and continuous integration and deployment workflows.
- Able to demonstrate knowledge of front-end system design, interaction with backend APIs, and performance/security considerations.
- Ability to understand common UX patterns and are able to identify and mitigate UX design risks early in the development process
- An understanding of optimisation of the delivery of code and assets (e.g., images, fonts) to a browser or device (e.g., lazy loading assets, using CDNs, caching, compression, etc.).
- An understanding of how to be efficient with resource usage (e.g., application impact on memory and CPU, caches appropriately, respectful of customer’s devices, etc.).
- Experience with understanding, profiling, solving performance issues, through use of profiling tools ( e.g. Chrome Dev Tools )
- Knowledge/experience in using Brightscript for Roku applications
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on objective criteria including your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. We welcome applications from all sections of society irrespective of colour, race, religion or belief, nationality, ethnic or national origin, gender, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, sex, marital status, disability, age or trade union membership. Please let us know if you have any special requirements in relation to this recruitment process.