About The Team
Department Checkout Solutions Zalando Payments
Reports to Engineering Lead
Team Size 5-9
As a Senior Backend Software Engineer in Payments, you will play a key role in the design of our checkout and transaction processing systems. You take ownership for the services built in your team, starting in the design of the services, over shipping and finally operating those in production. Those systems are handling traffic for more than 23M monthly active users in the checkout and are key for a great customer experience.
WHERE YOUR EXPERTISE IS NEEDED
- Contribute to the design of the transaction processing software architecture within and across teams and implement features to make this plan a reality
- Operate your team’s microservices in the production environment on the AWS cloud and identify and solve production issues
- Understand business requirements, translate them into technical tasks and support less experienced team mates through coaching and code reviews
- Support and shape Zalando’s engineering community by sharing best practises and interviewing additional engineering talents
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- 7+ years of experience in designing software systems based on JVM programming languages (preferably Java/Kotlin) in the field of e-commerce or payments
- Understanding of resilience patterns and what means to build scalable system with strong track record in microservice architectures and RESTful API design
- Practical experience in operating technical software systems based on cloud environments (preferably AWS) including incident management and resolution
- Strong communication skills with the ability to support technical decision making by balancing customer impact and technical quality
PERKS AT WORK
- Culture of trust, empowerment and constructive feedback, open source commitment , meetups, game nights, 70+ internal technical and fun guilds, knowledge sharing through tech talks, internal tech academy and blogs, product demos, parties & events
- Competitive salary, employee share shop, 40% Zalando shopping discount, discounts from external partners, centrally located offices, public transport discounts, municipality services, great IT equipment, flexible working times, volunteering time off, free beverages and fruits, diverse sports and health offerings
- Extensive onboarding, mentoring and personal development opportunities and an international team of experts
- Relocation assistance for internationals and parent & child room
We celebrate diversity and are committed to building teams that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
As part of Zalando’s online fashion ecosystem, Zalando Payments builds the platform that processes financial transactions from more than 23 million active customers across 17 markets in Europe. We are working to deliver a flawless user experience in checkout, as well as processing payments in the backend. Based on a smart risk steering, we try to bring the offline shopping experience to the online world allowing customers to try fashion articles first before they pay.
Zalando is Europe’s leading online platform for fashion and lifestyle. Founded in Berlin in 2008, we bring head-to-toe fashion to 31 million active customers in 17 markets, offering clothing, footwear, accessories and beauty. The assortment of international brands ranges from world famous names to local labels. Our platform is a one-stop fashion destination for inspiration, innovation and interaction. As Europe’s most fashionable tech company, we work hard to find digital solutions for every aspect of the fashion journey: for our customers, partners and every valuable player in the Zalando story. Our goal is to become the starting point for fashion.
Our logistics network with 11 centrally located fulfillment centers allows us to efficiently serve our customers throughout Europe, supported by warehouses in Northern Italy, France, Poland and Sweden with a focus on local customer needs.
We believe that our integration of fashion, operations and online technology gives us the capability to deliver a compelling value proposition to both our customers and fashion brand partners. Zalando’s shops attract more than 350 million visits per month. In the fourth quarter of 2019, more than 80% of traffic came from mobile devices, resulting in 31 million active customers by the end of the quarter.