At the heart of the world’s leading media agency network is a future-facing product company, building the tools to make media work for everyone. In partnership with the globe’s leading clients, agency teams, media companies, and technology platforms, we’re using our privileged position to help our customers ascend to vantage points unique in our industry.
Our teams bring together agile product management, cutting edge data science, and enterprise-scale engineering to build products that will shape the next decade of data-driven marketing. We believe consumer privacy, client confidentiality, brand growth, and user experience are essential to performance and the sustainability of the advertising ecosystem and have assembled a global team with diverse skills and experience to help shape that future.
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced big data engineer with Python and Hadoop expertise, to join GroupM’s recently formed Data & Technology division, focused on building technology products for some of the world’s leading media agencies. We are looking to extend an existing big data processing capability, already very successfully servicing one of our largest product stacks, and build the new innovations required by our evolving analytics product suite.
- Own our data pipeline application, responsible for big data processing
- You will work in a small squad, as part of a larger team, architecting, extending, maintaining, and tuning our big data capabilities
- Accountable for the technical design (with support from the lead architect) and implementation of the application, end to end
- Responsible for the code quality, CICD, and software development lifecycle (SDLC) of the application
- Proactively monitor system performance and implement tuning.
- You will work with both product and engineering teams to ensure that our systems are fit for the purpose
- Estimate and implement feature work to a high standard, meeting both functional and non-functional requirements, on time
- Manage technical debt; making the right calls between balancing pragmatic delivery and compromising implementation patterns
- Contribute to technical project meetings, technical reviews, and delivery activities
- 4+ year’s experience operating in the big data stack (Hive, Big Query, Hadoop, HDFS; Presto preferred) — data-intensive applications running on distributed infrastructure
- 5+ year’s experience building Python applications
- Designing and managing the successful delivery of cloud-native data pipeline applications at scale
- Experience in the SDLC for a major project
- Discerning the nuances of the business context that should impact on system design and applying the right solution to the problem
- Designing a shared service used by multiple consumers
- Designing interfaces with an awareness of whether functionality should be inside or outside a service’s boundary
- Proficient in SQL (MySQL and PostgreSQL databases)
- Capable of reading and writing basic Python applications
- Experienced across GCP (DataProc, Big Query), AWS (EMR)
- Experienced in data pipeline development
- Highly detail-oriented
- Focused on delivery
- Experienced in the ELT paradigm and have worked with a range of tools
- Modern big data architecture
- Microservice architecture patterns
- API implementation patterns and interfaces
- Big data file formats (AVRO, ORC, PARQUET) and their different features
- Have experience within the advertising industry and associated 3rd party datasets
GroupM is the world’s leading media investment company responsible for more than $113B in annual media investment through agencies including Mindshare, MediaCom, Wavemaker, Essence and m/SIX, as well as the outcomes-driven programmatic audience company, Xaxis. GroupM creates competitive advantage for advertisers via its worldwide organization of media experts who deliver powerful insights on consumers and media platforms, trading expertise, market-leading brand-safe media, technology solutions, addressable TV, content, sports and more.
Discover more about GroupM at www.groupm.com
Follow GroupM on LinkedIn – https://www.linkedin.com/company/groupm
GroupM embraces and celebrates diversity, inclusivity, and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We are a worldwide media agency network that represents global clients. The more inclusive we are, the more great work we can create together.