Principal Software Engineer
Disney Streaming is an industry leader in providing over-the-top content solutions, including Disney+, ESPN+, Hulu, and Star+. We deliver live and on-demand content to consumers with innovative features and best-in-class reliability.
As a member of the Solutions Architecture team, you will coordinate with engineering leaders from various disciplines (client applications, identity, commerce, content orchestration, telemetry, core services) to define the most effective solutions to business needs and engineering challenges. Responsibilities include designing, developing, and disseminating technical strategy across front and back end engineering teams. You’ll need to have an inherent desire to quickly deep-dive on engineering and business use cases with the ability to provide multiple solutions, weighing both the value created and effort required by the decisions you will make. The ideal candidate should have full-stack experience in web, mobile, and Living Room devices, and possess technical knowledge and skills that are broad and deep.
- Champion technical initiatives across various architecture disciplines in software development
- Work directly with technical leads, directors, and VPs to formulate solution design, delivery, and execution of product features
- Unify Client and Service teams on scalable solutions that power a resilient consumer experience
- Be the connective tissue between unique viewpoints, driving towards consensus under tight deadlines
- Proactively collaborate with peers on technical proposals, architecture, and documentation including writing technical proposals and integration specifications
- Author detailed technical documentation. Actively participate in technical proposals with peers
- Spec new services or updates to existing services to support new initiatives and product features
- Rapidly address production issues and clearly articulate root cause analyses
- 10+ years of experience developing client applications, including 2+ years leading architecture
- Experience developing and reviewing APIs including both GraphQL and OpenAPI specification
- Experience delivering distributed systems in production environments
- Demonstrated experience with complex caching and streaming data systems
- Industry knowledge of consumer applications across web, mobile, and living room devices
- Ability to deliver through ambiguity, work both independently and collaboratively, and multi-task amongst several priorities
- Well organized with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong ability to influence without authority
- Strong leadership, facilitation, and presentation skills, with a desire to proactively share knowledge with others. Ability to conceptualize and communicate innovative ideas
- Proven experience influencing business and technology leadership
- Experience with:
- AWS Smithy and/or OpenAPI
- UML and Sequencing tools like Plantuml, Lucidchart, Miro, Mermaid
- Documentation tools and platforms like Vuepress, ReDoc
- Postman or Paw
- Charles, Fiddler, or mitmproxy
- Node.js, ReactJS
- AWS including s3, ElastiCache, CloudWatch
- Additional plus for experience with Python, C, Ruby, Kotlin, Swift, Scala, Redis
- Bachelors or Masters Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or relevant industry experience
The hiring range for this position is $189,256.00 to $253,880.00 per year, which factors in various geographic regions. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate’s geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.“
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.