It wasn’t so long ago that booking a trip so see the Eiffel Tower, stroll down New York’s iconic Madison Avenue or feel the sand between our toes on Copacabana Beach was simply a matter of a few taps on our smartphone. In fact, that’s what we do at Booking.com. We make it easier for everyone to experience the world. And while that world might feel a little farther away right now, we’re busy preparing for when the world is ready to travel once more. Across our offices worldwide, we continue to innovate. To solve for some of the most complex challenges in travel and technology, and to plan for the exciting developments that lie ahead. With strategic long-term investments into what we believe the future of travel can be, we are opening up new career opportunities that will have a strong impact on our mission. We are united in the belief that our very human desire to explore the planet’s beauty and discover more about other people and cultures will endure. The world is waiting for us. Together, we will be ready.
The Horizontal Business Services department is part of the Central Tech Organization at Booking.com. We have a team of highly skilled engineers whose mission is enabling all product verticals and business units to integrate, store, and access entities relevant to the whole connected trip, be them users and accounts, reservation transactions ranging from accommodation reservations to train reservations, etc. through our services. We are centrally connected to the application layers of different customer-facing business verticals, but also with back-office, compliance-ensuring, and business-intelligence systems such as Payments, FP&A, Billing, and Security.
The Identity platform track in the Horizontal Business Services department is part of the Central Tech organisation at Booking.com. We have a team of highly skilled engineers, products, and designers whose vision is to enable our business to know our customer by providing one account for everyone, through an Identity Platform that covers: identity and access management, centralised account management, consolidated storage of account data and compliant privacy consent management system so as to support the Connected Trip. Our strategy is to build a scalable identity and privacy management service to support all the business teams in the company either in the customer realm or partner realm, thus we work closely with all product verticals like flight/attraction/food/taxi/car/accommodation and any team relies on User Identity and privacy like marketing, genius, business booker and more.
Our guiding principle is that by helping our users we help our business, so we listen to our customers and give them features they want to use. As a developer in our mobile team you’ll be a key part of the idea generation process, working in a small start up-like group which takes full ownership of its part of our platform. You’ll be working on the iterative improvements we make as part of our high-speed release cycles, as well as looking ahead and implementing broader changes to our mobile app.
Important aspects of the job include:
- Rapidly develop new features and A/B test them with our customers
- Solve issues with the app, prioritizing based on customer impact
- Collaborate with Back-end Developers, Product Owners and Designers to constantly improve our Android app
- Contribute to Booking.com’s growth through interviewing, on-boarding, or other recruitment efforts.
We expect our developers to know the ins and outs of the Android framework and to deliver polished products customers want to use. We need self-starters who are great at solving problems, initiate solutions and discussions and are not afraid of solving challenges due to our huge scale.
We have found that people who match the following requirements are the ones who fit us best:
- 5+ years of experience as a developer using Java and other languages
- At least 2-3 years of this experience must be from working with Android SDK
- Strong interaction and design sense, excellent attention to detail
- Self-motivated to explore new technologies, applications and environments
- Self-starter, highly motivated, team-player
Bonus Points for:
- Experience with Android Market place & Distribution Process
- An approved Play store app
- SQL knowledge and/or willingness to learn
- Experience working with A/B testing
- You are passionate about open source and contribute
- You’re not afraid to solve deep technical challenges of a whole new level at a huge scale
- You have an intrinsic curiosity in technological innovations and you are always on top of the latest trends
We are a performance-based company that offers career advancement and lucrative compensation, including bonuses and stock potential. We also offer what we call the “Booking Deal” with other competitive perks and benefits. The Technology department offers training and attends/speaks at global conferences.
This position is open to worldwide candidates and in the case of relocation, we will assist you with a generous relocation package, ensuring a smooth transition to working and living in Amsterdam. We have successfully relocated 300+ Technology professionals to Amsterdam in the last year!