The what3words team is on a mission to create the global standard for communicating location. We’re making the world an easier, more efficient and safer place for everyone.
what3words is built on the very latest tech platforms, which we’re always innovating and improving on – from a new website to apps, car and logistics software and hardware, voice technology, OCR and more.
We are proud of our tech stack. You’ll be exposed to technologies such as ReactJS, Docker, Redis, AWS Lambdas, Prometheus, Grafana, Python, Athena, BigQuery, Java, Scala, C++ and Swift.
Life on the what3words tech team is innovative, Agile and fast-paced. You’ll be joining a group of talented people from all over the world on an unprecedented journey.
Everyday brings new challenges, and we are continually learning.
We are a global company located in West London’s creative hub. Our headquarters are near Portobello Road and a short walk from Westbourne Park and Royal Oak tube stations.
- Java development in Android Studio or similar
- Experience of Test Driven Development (TDD) in an Agile project based env.
- Extensive end-to-end experience developing mobile apps, from interpreting UX designs to working with product teams on recursive feedback and testing
- Familiar with Agile development cycles and Jira
- Google Maps Platform API
- OCR experience (Tesseract ideal)
- Cloud deployments (AWS)
- Using RESTful web APIs
You will have:
- Excellent communication skills in both spoken and written English
- The ability to talk to techies and non-techies in suitable language
- A passion for development and staying current with technology trends
- The ability to work both independently and with others
- A focus on high quality software engineering work and attention to detail
- The ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
Extra credit if you:
- Like maps and location based services and know what a GIS is (we love maps)
- Are able to understand the business context of what you’re doing – understand the value your work creates.
- Enjoy learning new skills in scripting languages and how to use those to showcase our products
**Tier 2 sponsorship available for candidates requiring a UK work visa**
We offer the following benefits to all permanent employees of what3words:
- 25 days holiday
- Share options
- Bupa Healthcare + Babylon Health
- Bupa Rewards
- Cycle to work
- VDU eye tests
- Life Assurance
- Free breakfast & snacks
- Birthday vouchers
- Weekly lunch & learn sessions
- Regular team lunches & team socials
- Sports and hobbies clubs
The what3words team is a mix of experienced entrepreneurs, people who have worked at the highest levels in large global organisations, academics, and bright graduates – it’s a good balance, and it’s important for us that we get the right person who is happy working alongside people from these backgrounds.
We have a relaxed and focused office in West London, with regular team socials, and we expect to add more benefits as we grow. We have a culture that encourages curiosity and imagination in how we achieve our goals, and an absolute focus on building a global business.
We hope in 5 years you will be proud to tell people you were one of the early joiners at what3words.